Nancy Goodman Biography
Nancy Goodman, Founder and Executive Director, established Kids v Cancer in honor of her son, Jacob Froman, who died from medulloblastoma at age 10.
Since its inception, Nancy has grown Kids v Cancer into a 501(c)(3) organization focused on changing the landscape of pediatric cancer research. Nancy can be contacted via email at email@example.com.
Kids v Cancer promotes pediatric cancer research by identifying structural impediments at key junctures in the research process— access to funding, tissue and drugs – and developing strategies to resolve them. Under Nancy’s leadership, Kids v Cancer has had the following accomplishments:
- The Creating Hope Act, which creates a market-based incentive to spur pediatric cancer drug development, was signed into federal law on July 9, 2012 as Section 908 of the FDA Safety and Innovation Act. Kids v Cancer authored and advocated for passage of this legislation.
- Kids v Cancer started an autopsy tissue donation program for pediatric brain cancers, which has already led to significant scientific discoveries.
- Kids v Cancer has begun an advisory service to support pediatric cancer investigators who are having difficulties accessing the drugs they intend to study.Kids v Cancer raised the profile of pediatric cancer by asking that September declared to be National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month for each of the past three years.
- Kids v Cancer brought together donors to create the first $14.5M Stand Up to Cancer Dream Team for pediatric cancer, which was awarded in March, 2013.
- Kids v Cancer developed an alternative interpretation of the Best Pharmaceuticals for Children Act (BPCA) which could accelerate the development of drugs for pediatric disease and which the FDA is now implementing.
In 2012 Nancy was been selected by the FDA to serve as a Patient Representative on review panels. Nancy is a Member of the National Cancer Institute’s Board of Scientific Counselors. She also served on the November 2013 Pediatric Oncology Subcommittee of the Food and Drug Administration’s Oncology Drug Advisory Committee.
She was a member of the Stand Up to Cancer / St Baldrick’s Foundation review panel, which selected the 2013 Pediatric Cancer Dream Team grant. She received the Rare Disease Legislative Advocates Patient Advocacy 2012 RareVoice Award. She was honored at the Band of Parents 2013 Evening of Hope Gala. She was a 2014 honoree of the Massachusetts General Hospital The One Hundred Gala.
Nancy lives in Washington, DC, with her husband, Mike Froman, and her children, Ben and Sarah.
Jenn leads Kids v Cancer’s social media effort and runs the facebook pages and cause pages. Jenn also coordinates volunteer efforts and facilitates development events for Kids v Cancer. A Masters in Social Work student, Jenn knew and loved Jacob from the time he was a very little boy until his death. Jenn can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kunal leads the research and operations at Kids v Cancer. He performs research projects to further the goals and mission at Kids v Cancer, as well as enabling the day to day functions. Kunal graduated from Northwestern University in 2012 with a B.A. in Psychology, and holds an M.S in Physiology and Biophysics from Georgetown University. Kunal can be contacted at email@example.com.
Parents Advisory Board
Kim Prokop, Chair of Parents Advisory Board, mother of Hannah, www.hannahpro.blogspot.com
Kids v Cancer gratefully acknowledges the efforts of:
Dr Peter Adamson, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Dr Susan Blaney, Texas Children’s Hospital
Dr Margaret Foti, American Association of Cancer Research
Dr Sharon Gardner, NYU Langone Medical Center
Dr Lee Helman, National Institute of Health
Dr Nai Kong Cheung, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Dr Kim Kramer, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Dr Charles Sawyers, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
Dr Giselle Sholler, Van Andel Research Institute
Dr Loice Swisher
Dr Michael Taylor, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids)
Dr Maryam Fouladi, Cincinatti Children’s Medical Center
Dr Stephen Spielberg
Covington & Burling LLP
Friends of Cancer Research
Gilbert & Wolfand, PC
National Organization for Rare Diseases
Patton Boggs LLP Rare Disease Legislative Advocates
Rare Disease Legislative Advocates
Sidley & Austin, LLP
Sphere Consulting, LLC
Hunt Smith Design
Mary Catherine Andrews
Michael Berman, Duberstein Group Inc
Susie Block Casdin
Jim Courtovich, Sphere Consulting
Ellie Dehoney, Research!America
Jim Dougherty, Arcus Ventures
Jim and Patti Doyle, Business Forward
Cheryl Effron, Conjunction Fund
Brian Griffin, Duberstein Group Inc
Patrick Griffin, Peck Madigan Jones
Allan McArtor, Airbus, ALSAC
Lisa Paulsen, Stand Up to Cancer
Ellen Sigal, Friends of Cancer Research
Jeff Allen, Friends of Cancer Research
Reid Stuntz, Hogan Lovells
Caroline Brown, Covington & Burling
Julia Jenkins, Rare Disease Legislative Advocates
Emil Kakkis, Rare Disease Legislative Advocates, Peter Goodloe, Sidley & Austin, LLP
Jen Bernstein, JC White Consulting
H.P Goldfield, Hogan Lovells, LLP
Amy Gilbert, Gilbert & Wolfand, PC
Laurine Toone, Gilbert & Wolfand, PC
Sung Poblete, Stand Up To Cancer
Kurt Campbell, The Asia Group LLC
Grant Young, Covington & Burling